Civil engineering is a broad field of engineering that deals with the planning, construction, and maintenance of permanent and temporary structures, or public works, as they are related to earth, water, or civilization and their processes. Most civil engineering today deals with buildings, bridges, dams, roads, tunnels, railways, irrigation, flood control, transportation, water supply and sanitation. In essence, civil engineering may be regarded as the profession that makes the world a more agreeable place in which to live.
Civil Engineering department first began its session from 2009. The Department, which has an intake of 60 students, offers 4 years (eight semesters) B. Tech programme in Civil Engineering.
Since 2014, the Civil Engineering Department has initiated the M.Tech programme on Structural Engineering so as to equip the students on secure constructions in tune with the disasters such as earthquakes and techniques of repair and re-habilitation.
The Department also encourages its students to engage in extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, essential for their own personal development apart from nurturing team spirit and developing organizational skills.
Civil Engineering department is equipped with a library apart from the Central Library of the Institution. Department Library comprise of a substantial No. of Volumes, Magazines and Reference Books for ready reference to its Staff and Students. Rich collection of books on recent technologies makes the student improve his technical skills. CD's and DVD's of NPTEL lectures are also available in the department library facilitating quick learning for students.
1. To offer Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate programs in Civil Engineering and other skills development courses that add value to student competencies.
2. To promote quality education, research and consultancy for industrial and societal needs.
3. To produce civil engineers of high caliber, technical skills and ethical values to serve the society and nation.
4. To make the department a center of excellence in the field of civil engineering and allied research.
• PEO-1: To enable the students learn the fundamentals of Civil Engineering very conceptually so that they can continuously update themselves in the context of growing technology
• PEO-2: To make the program rich in core subjects so that the graduates in Civil Engineering can fit themselves in any relevant industry (or) pursue higher learning
• PEO -3: Achieve personal and professional success with awareness and commitment to their ethical and social responsibilities
• PO1: ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
• PO2: PROBLEM ANALYSIS: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
• PO3: DESIGN/DEVELOPMENT OF SOLUTIONS: Design solutions for complex engineering problem and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
• PO4: CONDUCT INVESTIGATIONS OF COMPLEX PROBLEMS: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
• PO5: MODERN TOOL USAGE: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
• PO6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
• PO7: ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
• PO8: ETHICS: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
• PO9: INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM WORK: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
• PO10: COMMUNICATION: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
• PO11: PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND FINANCE: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
• PO12: LIFE-LONG LEARNING: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
The college offers many opportunities to get involved in extracurricular activities. Within the department there are two student-run organizations which you can get involved in. Student organizations are a very important part of the college experience. They encourage teamwork, leadership, improved organizational skills and creativity, while cultivating professional interests.
“IE(I) Vision is to enable practice of ethical ethos and pursuits of professional excellence for engineering fraternity to serve the humanity through inclusive growth”
The Institution of Engineers (India) (IEI), was established in 1920 and was sanctioned the Royal Charter in 1935, laying down the principal role of the to be of a learned society promoting the advancement of the science and practice in different fields of engineering. The Royal Charter reflects the spirit in which engineering disciplines are to be pursued. From then this Chapter has taken the lead role in conducting the co-curricular and extracurricular activities in this college. The Local Chapter of the Staff is functioning actively.